Monday- Sales, use and provider tax changes
On the final day of public hearings on the Governor’s proposed tax package Commissioner Rosen presented a plea to consider all of the pieces of the plan as a whole not in isolation.
Public testimony weighed heavily against expanding the sales tax to goods or services provided by those testifying.
The proposed rate changes are summarized below.
The proposal expands the sales tax to cover several new items and services including:
- Recreation and amusement services” is defined in Section H-13; it includes such things as movies, water parks, golf and
- Installation, repair and maintenance services” is defined broadly in Section H -6, but excludes services performed on motor vehicles and
- Personal services” is defined in Section H-9; it includes such things as hair care services, tanning salons, event planning services, and flower delivery
- Domestic and household services” is defined in Section H-5; it includes such things as interior home decorating services, landscaping services, insect and pest control and
- Personal property services” is defined in Section H-10 to mean any services performed on tangible personal property, including laundry services, pet services, warehousing and storage, and moving In order to avoid overlapping categories, the definition excludes fabrication services (which are subject to the Service Provider Tax) and installation, repair and maintenance services (which is its own category of taxable service).
- Professional services is defined in Section H-12 to mean certain specific services, including legal, accounting, advertising, and photographic
This afternoon the Appropriations committee will conduct a further work session on LD 236, An Act To Adjust Appropriations and Allocations from the General Fund and Other Funds for the Expenditures of the Department of Health and Human Services and To Change Certain Provisions of the Law Necessary to the Proper Operations of State Government for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 2015
As shared with you last night at caucus, the current schedule for AFA is as follows:
Wednesday 2/25- Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry at 10:00 AM and continuing at 1:00 PM
Thursday 2/26- Work session on LD 232 An Act To Adjust Appropriations and Allocations from the General Fund and Other Funds for the Expenditures of the Department of the Attorney General and the Judicial Department for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 2015 1:00 PM
10:00 AM- HHS committee, non DHHS items
1:00 PM- HHS committee, Public health
1:00 PM- HHS committee, Social Services and Public Assistance & Eligibility
10:00 AM- HHS committee, Hospitals and physicians
1:00 PM- HHS committee, Elder services & dually eligible members
1:00 PM- HHS committee, Substance abuse & mental health
10:00 AM- HHS committee, Developmental disabilities and brain injury
1:00 AM- HHS committee, Children’s services & children’s mental health, Payments to providers, departmental administration
You can always attend hearings and work sessions in Room 228 or listen live here.